PROJECT 3:FICTIONAL LETTERFORM

Project 3 was a very interesting project. We had two projects in one. The class was divided into two groups. One group started on Constraint Systems and the other began with Fictional Letterforms. Each group had to brainstorm ideas and a make foundation or guidelines for their project that would later be trade off the other group. So, the end goal  to complete each others projects.

I started with Constraint Systems and then later  was given Fictional Letterforms. The objective for fictional letterform was to  created a new letter for the alphabet that would look believable. A letter that would be the 27th letter and look like it belong in the font. The typeface that I got was Didot. The typographic classification for this typeface is Modern. Modern’s characteristics  are the following: abrupt/horizontal serifs, high contrast between thin and thick strokes,horizontal stress, and thin hairline strokes.

The ground work for the fictional letterform was given to me by my partner Melissa.  I asked her a couple of questions about which fictional letterform , she was most interested in and what iterations she wanted me to work on. She also picked the one I happen to like, which was the letter s and a had been combined.When I began to work on the fictional letterform, I wanted to stay as true to the original idea as possible and also make it look believable as if it belong in the alphabet.

One of the comments that Melissa made and I had also noticed was that the spine of the s was to thick. The thickness of the s didn’t  resonate with the rest of the alphabet, so I began to reduce the thickness of the s.  I struggled to make the spine of the s thin, it kept looking choppy and weird. After  a few attempts, I got the idea to use a number instead of a letter.

Then I began to think which number was looked the closes the letter s and then it hit me the number 8. The eight had the spine that I was looking for ! I deleted the s and place the 8 BAM! I had  the fictional letterform that I pleased with. But I was not finished, I got some feedback from Dan that the fictional letter looked too much like an 8 and  he was right. Next I place it on the alphabet to see if it was believable.  After further feedback and detailed revisions; I reached the finished product. Here it is.

Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 1.23.10 AM Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 1.24.14 AM Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 1.24.40 AM Screen Shot 2015-11-13 at 1.25.16 AM

For some reason I didn’t find this project difficult, but what I did learn was to learn how to work     with another designer on the same project. In addition, I learned  how to meet other designer’s criteria, but also meet my own criteria on a project.

Advertisements

One thought on “PROJECT 3:FICTIONAL LETTERFORM

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s